INFAMY, INFAMY (I seem to have it in for me.....)


So, splurged on a big box o’ Vitrix to go with the Infamy rules. 



Its very pleasing when a big box of toys arrives at your door!

I went for Caesarian Romans, so “Republican” figures. I prefer that end of the period. They can always be mixed with Segmentata wearing figures later. Like all Armies, the Romans weren’t always efficient with kit issue, so there’s a good argument that one cohort may have had the new shiny, and another in the same century didn’t.

The figures are excellent. One slight beef, and its more about my choice that the figs. As the figs are Republican, they come with the feathered helmets rather than the horsehair crests. I decided to leave two units with then in, as I quite like them, and, y’know, kit supply. The others benefitted from a judicious clip just below the feathers, which left something which looks like the horsehair lug.

The idea was to get the figs made up and on bases so that I can try out the rules 

So far Caesarian Romans in Britain made up. Without shields at the moment, as I want to use transfers, and it is super fiddly to put the on figs instead of sprues.

The Gallic figs are quite amazing. Great animation without being too “can’t tell if it’s running or falling over”. The stand outs are the chariots, best I have ever seen! They will take longer than the Romans, who were pretty much bish-bosh-done.

On a read through of the rules, they look good. I was worried because I was a huge fan of the first edition of Sharp Practice, but felt the second edition was clunky, and I didn’t enjoy it at all.

It looks like Infamy makes a good stab (hur hur) at period feel. The Romans have special combat moves that they are drilled to perform. The Gauls and Germans are all about impetus and ferocity. The turn is card based, and the army lists allow points to be spent on add ons, such as engineers, doctors, musicians, field fortifications and so on.

Oh, Matronus.....


Comments